Audio Clips

13 December 2012

Intellectual Honesty

Earlier this year I watched and Intelligence Squared debate on the role of government in the obesity problem.  (If you haven't watched any of these debates I HIGHLY recommend them)  One of the proponents of government activism was Dr. Pam Peeke.  One of her opponents was John Stossel, who I like.  It was nice to see Stossel's team win the debate, but disheartening that the opposition team still had the most overall votes at the end of the debate.  (The winner is the team that changes the most minds, not necessarily the one who gets the most votes)

Imagine my surprise when, on a recent visit to Stossel's show, Dr. Peeke confessed to having changed her mind about the government's role in addressing obesity.  She thinks it would be better for private organizations, like Overeaters Anonymous, to tackle the problem.  I was floored.  Here was someone who had vigorously defended her position just 10 months ago in the debate who had been open-minded enough to consider the alternative.  I find that incredibly admirable and hope that I can do as well in considering things that I may have a knee-jerk reaction to.  Here is the Stossel clip:

Update: Apparently Fox is having issues with their embed codes recently because none of them are working.  Here is a link to the clip.


And here is the debate if you have the time:

No comments: